Saturday 7 January 2012

Genre and Sub-genre


The term genre can classify a film into different categories e.g.



However, a sub-genre breaks down the category of genre into more detailed subjects e.g.



Orphan has a sub-genre psychological thriller and it inspires me the most because the key signifier is that the main character of the film is a young child which is commonly portrayed in a thriller film because children are innocent but when they are portrayed evil it creates suspense and contributes to the genre of the film. Additionally, the title is in capital letters which is quite outstanding and the line "Can you keep a secret?" is in red which connotes danger or blood. This can influence my own film opening because I could use different fonts for the title or the slogan. Also I could use different colours to connote the sub-genre of the film for example, I could use dull colours e.g. grey or dark green to create suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment